This week Brandon started school again. He is going through EMT training in order to become a paramedic and eventually a firefighter. Everyone was surprised when he decided that this was the direction he wanted to go but I support him wholeheartedly. The fear has always been of how difficult it is to get into the firefighting but I would rather struggle for a few years and by happy for a lifetime than be comfortable but have him dislike where he ended up. After all, he did it for me last year :) The first step in the process is to become an EMT, then you go on to paramedic training and volunteering as a firefighter, then firefighter training and finally you find a job. Unfortunately, what I hear is that to join in any sort of timely manor you need to either know someone, be a woman, or a minority. Brandon is obviously not the last two but his cousin is the fire martial in Tuscon and has offered to make calls when the time comes so we hope that helps. Another thing is making sure he is able to get in early enough that he can have a pension when they force him to retire. We have a lot of questions, a lot of variables and there is no way to know where life will take us in next couple years.
I am so proud of him.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment