Sunday, January 16, 2011

2010

Sorry, I haven't been posting once a month like I said I would! I will do what Christi did and go month by month to catch you up.


October
I graduated Nursing school October 15th and started looking for a job. I got hired at Not To Worry/AallCare, two sister companies that provide in home pediatric and geriatric caregiving. At the end of October we took a trip to the east coast to visit some of my family. We started in PA visiting my Grandparents, Uncle and Cousin taking time to visit and a couple small trips, to the former West Virginia State Penitentiary and to the Indian Mound in Moudsville (a large hill that is a burial ground, the bodies were stacked when buried creating the mound). Next we traveled to West Virginia to visit my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins. Jillian went trick or treating for the first time and met her first kitty which she loved. From there we made a day trip to DC and visited a few of the many sites there. The trip was way too short but a ton of fun!

November
I started work at the beginning of November. I never got a chance to work with the geriatric company as I was so busy with the pediatric. It wasn't nearly as medical as I had hoped for but I still got a chance to use my nursing still by recognizing the signs of reflux and overfeeding in an infant and making sure he saw a doctor. Brandon Celebrated his 28th birthday and we found out that his brother's wife (Jason and Christi) is pregnant with their first child and due right around July 1st. Jillian will have a new cousin (we will know boy or girl in just a few weeks!) and we get to be Aunt and Uncle.

After years of back/knee pain and a good year and a half of hip pain, fatigue, sensitivity to touch and nausea I decided to be my own health advocate and make sure my doctor did everything possible to help me figure out what was going on. He ordered labs and x-rays suspecting arthritis and referred me to a rheumatologist. The labs came back normal and I have some arthritis in my back but that didn't explain everything else. After doing an evaluation the rheumatologist decided that I had bursitis in my hips and I possibly have fibromyalsia. Since then we have been going through a number of medical treatments as will as experimenting with changes in diet in hopes of relieving some of the pain. There have been minor changes but the only big change was after removing caffeine from my diet. It is common for people with fibromyalsia to have increased fatigue with caffeine so I quit drinking it and not only did I stop having trouble staying awake in the middle of the day but my nausea went away. No, I didn't drink a ton of it. Just on can of soda will have be curled up in a ball.


December
December 1st I started getting ready for Christmas! We have started adding to our decorations so it was a little more festive this year. A couple weeks before Christmas I was sent to work at a home with twin 9 month old girls with severe reflux, and eating/sleep delays. Before the year was over the family decided they would like to pay the few required to take me from my company to come work for them privately. I said yes as it will be part time through August. Christmas Eve we had a lovely dinner and early celebration with my mom and brother but as the night went on Brandon started having severe abdominal pain. By 730 he was vomiting in the bathroom and saying we needed to go to the ER. My dad came over to watch Jillian and my mom took over later in the night. After many hours in the ER we left with a diagnosis of Gallstones and orders for a low-fat diet and trip to the doctor to schedule a surgery to take them out. Brandon has been doing really well and we have both been keeping to a low-fat diet that is also helping us lose weight.

We went to the desert for the first time with Jillian. She was able to ride her new little quad around camp and daddy got to ride the rhino out in the Dunes. He made me go one time too but I wasn't sold on the experience. 

January
We are now halfway through January. I took my NCLEX and hope to get my results soon so I can have my license and look for some per diem jobs. We got a new dog named Dexter who is absolutely amazing. He even tolerates Jillian!

Jillian's Update
Jilian is now 19 months old and has added many words to her vocabulary. She loves farm animals and pretty much every other animal. She still hasn't developed healthy fears and is always doing things to make her mother's heart stop.  Her hair has grow significantly and I was able to put it in a ponytail for the first time a week ago. Her Grandpa Mike got her an outdoor play house for Christmas which is were she spends most of her time, she also enjoys coloring and her favorite foods are Sunbetter and Jelly sandwiches, Strawberries, grapes and granola bars.
 

Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment